Privately rented accommodation

If you are looking for private accommodation in Brighton & Hove, we can provide advice and help you find somewhere to live.

Aerial shot of Brighton

Get renting advice

If you want to rent privately, you can contact the Housing Services team. We offer free one-to-one advice, and can help you look for student houses and rooms.

If you're going to rent from a private landlord, we can read and check through your agreement so you know what you are signing up for.

You can also ask us about living in Brighton & Hove, including recycling and rubbish collection, how to avoid anti-social behaviour and accessible housing.

Search for student houses and rooms

You can use:

Property search websites

You can use the following websites to look for student houses and rooms:

The University does not vet or support these websites.

Lodge with a landlord

Lodging is where you live with a private landlord and rent a room in their home.

If you want to find somewhere to lodge, register on Sussex Studentpad and search for landlords. You can then contact a landlord and arrange your contract with them.

This can be a good option if you're only studying at Sussex for a short time (although you can stay long term as well), or if you are an international student and you want to improve your English.

Most lodging arrangements have shared kitchens, but some may include meals on a full or half-board basis.

You often only need to give one-week's notice to end the lodging contract, and it can be a good option if you are on a budget.

All landlords on Studentpad have agreed to uphold official UK standards of accommodation.

Homestay accommodation

You can live with a family in their home through Homestay. To search for Homestay options, you can use these websites:


Visit our landlords' page if you are a landlord in Brighton & Hove who wants to rent your property to students.

You might also be interested in: